Thursday, January 12, 2006

This post, it's so cute!

Back when I was living with G, his friend, Polly, came for a week-long visit. I was home alone when she rang the bell. I opened the door, but before I could get a word out, she started talking away and didn’t stop until she left. Mostly, she said, “How cute!” For variety, she also said, “That’s great!” and, “Wow!”

"You're so not what I was expecting!" she said, looking me over. "Look at you, you're so cute!"

We were still in the foyer at that point, and I was already wishing G would get back so that he could take over the conversation.

“Your place is so great! It’s so cute!” She hadn’t even seen it, yet.

I made a couple attempts at light-hearted jokes, but before I could get to the punchline, she'd cut me off, saying: “Oh, you’re so funny!"

She said, “That’s so cute!” so many times about things which were not cute, that it was almost like she had that disease where you blurt out obscenities without meaning to...only, she blurted out inane, cheerful comments.

I'm not sure why, but I ended up talking about the Holocaust much more than usual during her visit.

1 Comments:

At 3:43 pm, Blogger jemison said...

You're funny. The well-traveled school teacher was especially funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home