Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hard-boiled consumer

I am not a cook, and I have the proof: a computerized egg boiler. My dad came home with it yesterday.

"It's a present for you."

"But boiling an egg is about the only thing I can do."

The purchase seemed to me extravagant -- and I'm the one who bought a telephone shaped like Darth Vader's head; it breathed lecherously whenever someone called (I think I bought it more for that effect than anything else).

"It also poaches eggs," my dad said.

"Oh, well...." I'd never tried poaching an egg. "Maybe it'll be worthwhile, then."

A couple hours later, I wandered back into the kitchen. My dad was standing over some black plastic pieces.

"I can't figure out how to put this together."

There were about six parts -- two weren't even depicted in the manual. I tried fitting them together. "You think this is how it goes?" Then the part that I had carefully balanced on another part toppled over.

"No, no, that can't be it." He assembled them in another way. When it toppled over again, I lost interest and wandered off.

This afternoon, I came home for lunch and saw the egg boiler, still disassembled.

"Have you tried using it, yet?"

"Yes, I used it to poach an egg. Now I have to wash it."

"How was it?"

"Well, it did a good job. But, I think I'll just poach my eggs the old way. It's less complicated."


--
Note: I am not a Star Wars fan. I liked the original ones, but I've not seen the newer ones and I never will.

3 Comments:

At 2:11 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I'll have to try it once -- but it does look complicated.

I already have a water boiler, too. It's actually pretty nifty for making tea. Once I opened up the lid out of curiousity -- I didn't realize algae could grow in hot water.

When guys come over and they see that I have a water boiler, I can see in their eyes, "This woman will never be the mother of my child."

 
At 6:10 pm, Blogger whereismymind said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:11 pm, Blogger whereismymind said...

Hi, just came across your blog....I was a cook for six years, the way to hard boil an egg: Put all the eggs in a pot, cover just over the top egg with water, dash of salt, and bring to a boil (no lid.) Then, as soon as the water boils, remove from heat, put lid on, and let sit for 10 minutes. Immediately run under cold water (I also add ice) until cool. You will then have the most perfect hard boiled eggs this side of the Mississippi. Even though we're on opposite sides.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home